Saturday, October 17, 2009

Gotta Love the Back Issue Bins!

I was just at a comic and toy shop down the street from my office and I had to admit, back issue bin diving is definitely profitable! I mean considering how much an average new comic is nowadays ($2.99/3.99 and up!) you can get a whole lotta comics for that same $3-4 bucks. So what if they aren't the current issues? If you're looking for something to read on the cheap and you really don't give a care about if a comic is "minty" or a bit more abused... you can really get some deals.

I picked up a whole bag full of comics for about 15 bucks, and that included a handful of old 60s
comics (minus covers - but still some fun ones in there). I mean, at current prices that's what like 3-4 new comics? Granted people still need to buy the new ones so the store owners can actually afford to stay in business... but still.

I'll have to scan in some of the oldies that I picked up.

With all the "Disney bought Marvel" and "DC is getting weak" stuff I keep hearing, I feel that if you're hating on the current crop of comics, take a dive in the back issue bins. Plenty of good old stuff you can get cheap. (and some that isn't so cheap - depending on your shop) And if you hate the issue, then give it to a kid, leave 'em places. Drop a few of them in your doctor's office. Part of the reason why I think comics aren't doing the kind of business they once did is because kids
aren't picking them up at an early age and getting hooked. How many of us fans got into them at a young age? I remember having kiddie comics in kindergarten and then as I started getting older, around 5th grade or so, I started picking up old Superman and Batman comics I found at rummage sales and then it kept going.

And for parents... if you're looking for some "safer" comics, considering some of the more modern ones are getting a bit more graphic and not as "kid friendly", then get nearly anything from the early 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s... usually they kept things pretty clean. It wasn't until maybe the turn of the century that the comic artists and writers started to push the envelope a bit more. Not all of them but still...

Old comics need a home... won't you give them one?

No comments:

Post a Comment